Sunday, August 29, 2010

Man vs. Hose

Holding tank hose that is and one on one the hose won... However hose vs man and woman under new conditions we won!!  So while Ginny was away for work in Reno I decided to tackle changing the holding tank hoses, a.k.a. the poopy hoses.  There was nothing wrong with the current hoses per se, they are the originally installed hoses from 1986.  At that time the sanitation hoses were made with a wire backbone and out of a black coarse material.  The problem we had with these hoses was the smell, apparently this black coarse material allowed some of the smell to permeate when in use.  Basically we someone used the head and began pumping out their business those in the cockpit or down below were treated to a ... nasty sh!%%y smell - literally.

So off to our new favorite store West Marine for some replacement hoses. After flushing the holding tank a few times everything was progressing pretty well last weekend until I tried to cram the new hose through a hole the bulkhead that was using an inch long piece of hose as padding around the hole.  I fought until sundown but trying to wedge rubber through rubber was too much and it was time for a beer break.  I decided to try again with Ginny after she returned.

This weekend we arrived at the boat late Friday night and were in no particular rush to tackle round 2 of the poopy hose task.... So we had brunch at the local bakery/cafe and wandered through the farmers market and took the dogs to the dog park before getting down to business.  Despite having one below pushing and one above pulling, rubber on rubber again proved too tough an opponent.  So we changed the conditions and popped out that piece of hose - we were done in 30 minutes!!  Some day I will work all on those electrical lines... someday.

With the sun setting we fed the dogs then headed to our favorite Italian restaurant in town for a bottle of red and crab ravioli - a belated birthday dinner.

Sunday came too quickly and despite our desire to get a few hours under sail we decided our time was better spent cleaning and preparing the boat for next weekend.  We are heading to Orcas Island for Labor Day and plan on meeting up with the Bishops.

It proved to be a pretty productive weekend boat task wise despite our procrastinating on Saturday.  Our dinghy, the P-Wagon, had it's maiden voyage after being named.  We lined our slip with bumpers in case we have anymore high adventure docking sessions.  And we tried on our foul weather gear, something we decided was a must have after getting soaked to the bone during the Pacific Seacraft rendezvous at Port Townsend 7 August.  We crewed on another Dana during the afternoon sail boat race, it wasn't raining bad on shore but beating upwind on a boat was another story!!  

Throughout the day our first mates worked hard reminding us of what boating life should be....
We're excited about next weekend, Labor Day will be our first multi-day trip and if all goes well we should cover about 50 miles in four days.

No comments:

Post a Comment